We are no longer accepting applications to the HHEAR Pilot and Feasibility (P&F) Program. Applications that were submitted by the due date are currently being reviewed.
The Human Health Exposure Analysis Resource (HHEAR) Pilot and Feasibility (P&F) Program will provide laboratory analysis services for generation of preliminary data in support of grant applications that add environmental exposure assessment to studies of human health.
The goals of the HHEAR P&F program are to:
- Encourage and support new and experienced investigators to add environmental exposure assessment to their studies of human health
- Provide an opportunity for investigators to study novel exposures and outcomes
- Provide investigators with readily accessible access to HHEAR laboratory analysis services to generate preliminary data for additional research funding from NIH or other national granting agencies
- Support improvement and expansion of HHEAR infrastructure
Examples of the types of projects suitable for the HHEAR P&F program include laboratory analyses to:
- Assess adequacy of stored human biological or environmental samples for proposed analyses
- Determine if biomarker of interest can be detected in human biological or environmental samples
- Assess usefulness of biomarker for testing association between environmental exposures and health outcomes
- Assess exposure distribution of an environmental chemical in population of interest
An investigator may be eligible for the HHEAR P&F program if all of the following apply:
- Investigator must be eligible to apply for an NIH grant at his/her home institution
- Investigator must have access to an ongoing or completed epidemiological or clinical study on human health which has been approved for human subjects research by an Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Investigator wants to add environmental exposure data to his/her research or needs more extensive analysis of exposures to support a scientific hypothesis related to human health outcomes
- Investigator has existing human biological or environmental samples
We especially encourage applications from investigators who have not previously included environmental exposure assessment in their research on human health. We also encourage applications that are consistent with HHEAR research priorities for funding agencies.
Scope of Services
The services provided under the P&F Program include laboratory analyses of biological or environmental samples not to exceed $25,000 (roughly 100 sample analyses) per application. Applicants may request analyses at a total cost of greater than $25,000, but will be expected to provide a matching cost-share of up to $25,000.
Before you Apply
Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact HHEAR_CC@westat.com with questions regarding the scope of services, suitability of a proposal and/or costs of laboratory analyses.
A complete application submission includes:
- Completed HHEAR Pilot and Feasibility Program Application form (PDF)
- Biosketches for the Principal Investigator and up to three significant contributors
Application Review: HHEAR will begin accepting applications for the P&F program on March 3, 2021. All applications will be reviewed and applicants notified of decisions within 6 weeks after the submission deadline.
Application Submission Deadline: Applications must be submitted via e-mail to the HHEAR Coordinating Center at HHEAR_CC@westat.com by April 7, 2021.
Questions: If you have questions about the HHEAR P&F Program laboratory services, costs of biospecimen analyses, suitability of a proposal, or the application process, please contact us at HHEAR_CC@westat.com.